This South African classic is a family favourite and a brilliant vessel for secret vegetables. We’ve kept our version quite mild in flavour; add a little more curry powder to spice it up for more adventurous kids.
Taken from the new book raising Superheroes the latest book for Children by Tim Noakes and is more about healthy meals for children, less sugar. Recipes are easy to make and children will be none the wiser.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Serves: 6 – 8
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup grated courgette
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 whole cloves
- 5 whole allspice
- 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 x 400g tin whole peeled tomatoes, blended
- 800g beef mince
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- salt and pepper
For the custard
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 8 bay leaves
Buy the book here
Nutritional Info per 375g:
- Carbs: 17.02 g
- Fat: 34.09 g
- Protein: 36.57 g
Once cooked, this bobotie freezes like a bomb. You can easily double the recipe so you have leftovers to freeze.
- Melt the butter in a wide-based pot and gently fry the onion, carrots, red pepper and courgette until soft. Stir in the ginger and the garlic and fry for minute or so. Add the spices and fry for another minute to release their flavour.
- Pour in the honey, vinegar and tomato, and bring to the boil.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients, ensuring that everything is combined well; you don’t want meatballs in your mince.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring all the time. When it’s done, season well with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mixture in a greased ovenproof dish.
- To make the custard, lightly beat together the milk and the eggs.
- Press the bay leaves into the bobotie mixture and carefully pour over the custard.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until the egg topping has set.
Buy the book here