You may be used to hearing how bad sugar is for your health by now. It is often referred to as white poison and you may know it can lead to obesity and diabetes. However, how does sugar affect the body so badly?
Here are 5 reasons why chronic consumption of sugar will ruin your health:
1. It can cause a yeast infection called Candida. It is natural for us to have some yeast in the intestinal tract; however, if we eat a lot of refined carbohydrates and sugar we feed the yeast and cause it to grow out of control. The yeast overgrowth can lead to issues such as thrush, bloating, IBS, fatigue and skin itching.
2. It causes insulin resistance. The hormone insulin controls the movement of glucose into the cells from the blood stream. If we eat too much then insulin is constantly being produced. If this continues for a while the cells actually become resistant to insulin.. Insulin resistance occurs when there is a high level of glucose and insulin in the blood stream at the same time and can lead to obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
3. It can suppress the immune system and lead to frequent infections. A study has shown that ingestion simple sugar (in the form of table sugar, fructose and honey) causes a 50% drop in activity of the body’s infection fighting immune cells called nuetrophils. They observed that while the number of these white blood cells did not decrease, they were much less responsive for up to 5 hours after ingestion of the sugar.
4. it can cause non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. The liver can only store so much glucose as glycogen in the liver. When this storage is used up, it has to convert glucose into fat. Some of this fat then gets sent away from the liver as LDL cholesterol, but some of it sticks around. This can lead to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
5. It can increase the risk of certain cancers. Many studies have shown that people who eat a lot has a higher incidence of cancer. This may point to insulin because it is a hormone that may contribute to the growth of tumours. This means that eating sugar will contribute to the growth of tumours because it causes the release of insulin.
In addition to that, we know that sugar causes inflammation in the body and suppresses the immune system which all can contribute to cancer. The good news is that there are now healthy alternatives to sugar and artificial sweeteners on the market.