We’ve talked about what not to pack for your kid’s lunches, now try these healthy and easy to pack lunchbox ideas instead.
- Mini yoghurts. Avoid fat free yoghurts but look for low fat varieties as they have less sugar.
- Packets of Biltong. Most kids love biltong and it’s high in protein, just look for leaner less fatty cuts.
- Mixed nuts and dried fruit. Nuts are an excellent source of protein and good fats and while dry fruit can be high in sugar, it is a good source of energy.
- Vegetable and cheese snacks. Try cutting up slices of cucumber, low fat white cheese such as cheddar, carrots and rosa tomatoes.
- Fresh fruit that is in season. Fruit is naturally sweet and delicious, try cutting up apples, peaches, or whatever fruit is in season.
- Smoothies. Instead of giving your kids sugary drinks, pack a smoothie, just make sure if you buy it, it isn’t loaded with added sugar.
- Low GI sandwiches. Instead of white bread use low GI bread, cut the crusts off if your kid complains. Low GI bread is far healthier and is high in fibre.