Aubergine French Toast
Armand’s Aucamp’s favourite recipe from his book is the ‘Aubergine French Toast’. “I know it sounds strange, but I promise you it’s to die for.” It takes about 15 minutes to prep and 10 minutes to make. His low-carb cookbook, Kook Kaal met Armand (Cooking Naked with Armand), even has the banting guru himself, Professor Tim Noakes, singing his praises. “Without a doubt one of the best low-carb cookbooks in the world. Armand is pushing boundaries!” Noakes said.
- 1 large eggplant
- Fine salt
- 250g mascarpone
- 50g chopped nuts (Almond, macadamia, pecan, or walnuts)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine ginger
- A pinch of clove (It’s a strong flavour and should be used moderately)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
1. Cut the eggplant into long, thin slices. The thinner the better! Sprinkle salt over the eggplant slices and let it rest for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile add the mascarpone, chopped nuts, vanilla essence, and other spices in a bowl and mix well.
3. Beat the eggs in a separate shallow dish.
4. Sprinkle the almond flour on a flat plate.
5. Once the eggplant is ready, wipe it with a paper towel until it’s completely dry.
6. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a pan at high heat. Dip a slice of eggplant in the whisked eggs. Then cover it completely with almond flour. Do this with all the slices.
7. Fry the eggplant in the hot coconut oil until both sides are golden brown. Add more oil if needed. (Don’t put the eggplant in a dry pan).
8. Place the slices of “French toast” on a plate and serve with a nice big scoop of mascarpone cream cheese on top. Drizzle with honey.
9. Enjoy with a cup of Earl Grey tea. It’s delicious!