Embarking on a low carbohydrate diet may be daunting for some people; especially if you are dependent on bread and grains like rice. Luckily some creative chefs have found ways to make breads, pizza bases, wraps and rice with low carbohydrate vegetables and nuts.
The following recipe uses cauliflower to create a tasty and convincing low carbohydrate “rice”. It’s easy to make, doesn’t take long and is perfect for those on a Banting diet.
You will need a food processor, chopping board, sharp knife, measuring spoons and cups and a large pan.
1 head of cauliflower
2 Tbsp. butter
½ cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp. Himalayan rock salt
1/8 tsp. Pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1. Rinse your cauliflower and break it up into florets. Put a few florets in the food processor at a time and pulse until their size and shape looks similar to rice. Make sure not to blend it too much.
2. Heat the butter in a large pan and sauté the onions and garlic for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the cauliflower to the pan with the salt and pepper and mix it in. Sauté it for about 3-5 minutes. Make sure not to overcook the cauliflower as it will become soggy.
4. Transfer the cauliflower rice to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh parsley.
5. Serve with meat and other vegetables and enjoy!