The use of a neti pot requires mixing up a saline solution that will be poured through the nasal passages. A typical saline solution is a mixture of around 500 ml of water with 5 g of salt.
- Open one saline sachet and empty powder into the Neti Pot
- Pour a little lukewarm tap water into the Neti Pot and swirl around to dissolve the powder; once dissolved fill pot until almost full
- Take the Neti Pot in your right hand and place tip of spout into your right nostril to block it (use left hand for left nostril)
- Bend over the basin and tilt your head to the left until you find a position that allows the liquid to pour into your right nostril and flow out your left nostril into the basin (tilt head to the right for left nostril; liquid will flow out your right nostril). Ensure that you breathe through your mouth to stop water flowing down into your throat.
- Once you have emptied the solution in the pot into your right nostril, repeat Steps 1-4 for your left nostril.
- Once complete breathe out to clear both nostrils and blow your nose very gently into a tissue. If you blow too hard you may feel discomfort in your ears.
- Clean the pot well after each use. For hygienic reasons each person should have their own pot.