The Moringa tree (Moringa Oleifera) originates from the foothills of the Himalayan Mountains in India. The seed was brought to South Africa some 160 years ago by the indentured Indian labourers and Moringa grown in South Africa is now available.
Moringa is also known as the Drumstick Tree due to the attractive long seed pod, and Miracle Tree due to the fact that it is so nutritious and beneficial to our health.
The plant is grown mainly in the warmer areas of South Africa as it’s sensitive to frost, although if the frost is not severe you could try to cover the young plant at the base with a blanket of straw and mulch during cold periods.
Moringa powder is made by grinding the dehydrated Moringa leaves. The leaves are the most nutrient rich part of the whole plant.
It contains 90 nutrients and 46 antioxidant’s and is one of the richest sources of natural iron and calcium. Considered to be a natural multivitamin supplement it is also traditionally used.
Moringa dry leaf fine powder has a fine grain size and can be added to milk, soup, tea, sauce and other food items. The powder is hygienically prepared and packed and after consumption seems to provide a long-lasting energy boost when used regularly.
Moringa leaves have enormous nutritional value:
- 7 times more vitamin C than oranges
- 4 times the vitamin A of carrots
- 4 times the calcium of milk
- 3 times the potassium in bananas
- 2 times the protein of yoghurt
These are the benefits of Moringa:
- Increases the body’s immune system
- Provides nourishment to brain and body
- Promotes energy
- Decreases anxiety and depression
- Helps with sleep-related disorders
- Promotes cell structure of the body
- Calms, moisturises and nourishes the skin
- Promotes normal liver, kidney functions
- Supports sugar levels
- Aids in stabilising diabetes
- Reduces arthritic inflammations
- Aids in stabilising of blood pressure