Cheesy cauliflower sticks are the low-carb option to bread. Drain the cauliflower well so that you can get it to “crisp” up. Enjoyable for the whole family.
- 4 cups cauliflower “rice”
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Begin by turning 1 head of cauliflower into “rice.” To do this, wash and clean the cauliflower and cut it into chunks (remove the core). There are several ways to “rice” cauliflower. You can use a food processor and pulse it until it’s a “rice” consistency, or you can use a box grater. Alternatively, you could use a knife to finely chop the cauliflower until it looks like rice. An average head of cauliflower should yield about 4 cups of cauliflower “rice.”
- In a large saucepan, heat one inch of water until it boils. Add in the cauliflower rice, cover with a lid, and allow it to steam for 4-5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees c.
- Use a fine-mesh strainer to drain the cauliflower. Allow it to cool for a few minutes, then place the cauliflower “rice” in a clean dish towel and squeeze as hard as you can to remove any excess water. It may look like all the water is removed, but definitely don’t skip this step as there is hidden excess water.
- Once the cauliflower rice is drained really well, dump it into a large bowl. To the cauliflower rice, add 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1 egg slightly beaten, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Stir the mixture well.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it lightly with cooking spray. Spoon the cauliflower mixture onto the pan and use your hands to form it into a 22-25cm rectangle;
- Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or even longer until the crust is golden brown and firm.
- Remove the crust from the oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes. Then top the crust with remaining 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Cut into “breadsticks” and serve with a warm marinara sauce for dipping.
Marinara Sauce is a simple tomato sauce with very few ingredients.
Source: Centre Cut Cook