The bread is delicious! This low carb focaccia bread is wonderful with soup but is also great for a braai or as bruschetta on a snack or cheese platter.
A mix of flax- and chia seeds give this low carb health bread a wonderful texture
The recipe’s from the cookbook ‘The Low Carb Solution for Diabetics’ by Vickie De beer and Kath Megaw.
Makes: 15 slices
60ml (¼ cup) flax seeds, ground
60ml (¼ cup) chia seeds, ground
125ml (½ cup) milk
15ml (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
3.75ml (¾ tsp) cream of tartar
1ml (¼ tsp) bicarbonate of soda
2.5ml (½ tsp) salt
500ml (2 cups) almond flour
125ml (½ cup) black olives, pitted and chopped
2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
Sea salt flakes for sprinkling
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2) Mix together the flaxseeds, chia seeds, milk, vinegar and eggs until well combined. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
3) In a large bowl, combine the cream of tartar, bicarbonate of soda, salt and almond flour. Add the olives, rosemary and chia mixture. Stir until it forms a ball.
4) Turn the ball of dough out onto the lined baking tray and form it into an oblong shape. With a serrated knife, score the bread 3 times. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
5) Leave to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Buy the book by clicking here